Sunday, May 4, 2008

Mkini- Delimma of an ISA detainee's wife

Dilemma of an ISA detainee's wife
Rahmah Ghazali Apr 30, 08 7:48pm

Her husband has been held under the Internal Security Act (ISA) at the Kamunting detention camp for the last six years, as a suspected member of regional terrorism group Jemaah Islamiah.This afternoon, her frustration spilled over, despite the knowledge that going public with her views could expose Mat Sah Mohd Satray to some kind of punishment.Norlaila Othman was in a 20-member delegation in Parliament House to support the submission of a memorandum to Opposition Leader Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ibrahim and Home Minister Syed Hamid Albar.The joint memorandum, by Abolish ISA Movement (GMI) and the Human Rights Committee (HRC) of the Bar Council, demanded the release all the detainees and the abolition of the ISA.Syed Hamid did not show up, but at a press conference, Norlaila alleged that she has been warned to keep quiet about her husband.“I was told by the Special Branch that my husband could be detained for another six years if I talk to Wan Azizah and the media. But I can’t keep quiet. I need to tell everyone about this.“Two years ago, I ambushed the prime minister in Seremban. The next day, my husband was put in a confinement cell. There was no window, no lights, just a few small holes for air.“My biggest worry is my husband’s condition. I don’t know what will happen to him when this (story) is published. But I don’t give a damn what happens to us.”Apart from Wan Azizah, other MPs at the press conference were Charles Santiago (DAP-Klang), Tian Chua (PKR-Batu) and Mahfuz Omar (PAS-Pokok Sena).

Syed Hamid was criticised for not having visited the ISA detainees or taking a closer look at the situation on the ground.“I urge the minister to go to Kamunting and visit them personally, rather than sign detention orders in his office,” said HRC deputy chairperson Amer Hamzah Arshad.The 20-member delegation included S Pushpaneela, the wife of M Manoharan, and V Raidu, the brother of S Ganapathi Rao.Manoharan and Ganapathi are among five Hindu Rights Action Force leaders currently being detained in Kamunting for two years, on grounds that they are a ‘threat to national security’. The group handed out Malaysia Bebas dari ISA (ISA-free Malaysia) badges to those present, which Wan Azizah then distributed personally to other MPs in the lobby and cafetaria.Among those who accepted the badges were Mukhriz Mahathir (BN-Jerlun) and Khairy Jamaluddin (BN-Rembau).When Wan Azizah placed a badge against Khairy’s chest (right), he smilingly remarked: “You’re very naughty, you know I can’t remove your hand. I will not wear it, but I will accept it.”

No comments: